How often do people go to family reunions? Every year? Every five years? How often do people really get to see their other relatives. You know distant aunts, uncles, cousins, whatever you call children of cousins. Growing up we had a family reunion every year (this year is no exception) and in talking to my friends they made it sound like it was weird that we did. I assumed that's what everyone did.
This years reunion was in Baltimore, MD. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with the reunion itself. Not the people mind you but the actual event. When I was a kid it meant leaving friends and "fun" for the weekend. Now as an adult (or whatever I am) I feel I have to leave behind a day of work, my precious weekend time, and "fun". But once I get there (we go to a different city, state each year) I get to see how much people have grown, spend time with family from far away, and remember those who have passed away. We take pictures and have laughs. Then we complain about how we don't keep in touch, promise to do so, and then spend the next 365 days forgetting how much we don't keep in touch.
I am not going to say that this year will be any different because every year we say that. But I will make a concerted effort to call, or email. Hell some of the people are in the same city as me so there is no excuse. That and the fact that none of us are getting younger. I remember when cousins of mine were babies. Now they are graduating from high school and college. Some of them even have kids and a home already. One day it will be us kids who will be in charge of sending out the invitations and

Comments